asp editor, asp.net editor, asp net editor, asp, asp.net asp code generator, asp.net code generator,asp editor, asp.net editor, asp net editor, asp, asp.net asp code generator, asp.net code generator
August Wind Shareware

August Wind Forums Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
ASP Express  > General Discussion  > Drop Down Menu List  

Display using:  
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Drop Down Menu List
RLBowen is not online. Last active: 4/19/2005 7:00:50 AM RLBowen
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 3

Drop Down Menu List
Posted: 07 Jan 2005 01:04 PM
I need a radio button with 3 options (any, new, used) once a selection is made the first of 3 dynamic drop down list boxes will pull data from an access database, when a selection is made the first down list boxes the second one pulls data from a different column in the database. The selection made in the third down list box will take the user to an asp I want to do this is asp. Call any one help? I just purchase ASPExpress to do this but can't figure it out. Thanks
Admin is not online. Last active: 3/11/2011 9:09:39 PM Admin
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 82

Re: Drop Down Menu List
Posted: 10 Jan 2005 09:54 AM
Are we talking about Classic ASP or ASP.Net here?
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 10 Jan 2005 10:08 AM
I am talking ASP

Thanks
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 Jan 2005 07:14 PM
The easiest way, would be to have multiple pages for each sequence of events
Have the radio buttons on one page, with the choice of the radio button, submit the form to the next page, with the first Select list
when the page loads, look at the value submitted from the first page, retrieve it with the request.form or querystring, whichever is appropriate for your code.
Use that data to query the database, specifically to get the data to populate that select list
Then, once the user has selected something from there, go to the next page - - and so on.

There are other ways to do this, but it would be much to complicated to go into here.

One of the reasons ASP.Net is so powerful, is that you never need to leave the first page to do this - you can make the dropdowns visible or invisible with each query, creating a subroutine for each query.

of course - I can't go much further without knowing how much you know about creating queries, databases (which db you are using), etc.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 27 Jan 2005 08:44 AM
I am using an access database and don't know alot about queries

thanks
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 28 Jan 2005 03:22 PM
In that case, you're trying to do quite a bit, before knowing the basics about queries - -
What I'd suggest is to go here:
http://learnasp.com/learn

There are a lot of pages of sample code, that tell how to create pages based on databases (even access), plus a whole lot more

Look down on that main page for:
SQL Basics, Searching Databases
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

August Wind Forums  > ASP Express  > General Discussion  > Drop Down Menu List